Saturday, June 1, 2024

A Really Big Shoe

I texted Diane earlier this week and sent her this picture.

"There's a blog post in here somewhere," I quipped. With a smiley face.

No reply at all.

Which, of course, I took as consent. So here I am, writing about my wonderful trip to C-Bus last weekend. (That's Columbus, if you ain't from O-H I-O.)

It's been a bunch of time since I saw my sister, and I was feeling the urge. So I packed my bags, made sure Mr. Ginley had plenty of food to keep from starving, and hit the road Friday afternoon. 

Two hours later, I pulled into Diane and John's driveway. 

Our visits have a certain pattern. Diane and I traverse the neighborhood and catch up. Then we eat and crack open a jigsaw. John chooses the music, and we puzzle the evening away. Normally, Diane and I would watch a Hallmark movie, too. Honestly, there was a time when I thought I was the only one in the family with this particular guilty pleasure, but no, it seems we both have the fever. However, the puzzle Diane chose was a little more challenging, so we worked all weekend on it instead. Alas, Hallmark took a pass.

Saturday morning, Diane took me to the Worthington Farmer's Market. She found the most amazing fresh, organic strawberries (which later magically turned into strawberry shortcake). I found some unfortunate cookies. (Well, they looked good.)

Later, we went to Eaton Place and walked ourselves silly and got the boot in front of LL Bean. I marveled once again at how cosmopolitan Columbus has become. Way back when Diane (then my other sister, Denise) moved down there, it was a whole lot of farmers and fields and OSU and not much else. These days, there are a ton of restaurants and shopping opportunities and a diverse population. The contrast is pretty wild.

Saturday evening, Denise joined us for dinner at the Cap City diner. The four of us broke bread (or sandwiches, as the case may be). It was so nice to yack and then lure Denise back to D&J's for the aforementioned strawberry shortcake. 

All in all, it was a wonderful, relaxing weekend. And watching the variety of birds in Diane's backyard was an extra special treat. I got to see woodpeckers (two varieties), hummingbirds, cardinals and several others whose names escape me. (I know they're called something other than "the grey ones with the beady eyes.") 

Sometimes I think I'm getting agoraphobic, and I have to push myself out of the house.

This time, I was so glad I did.

Pomegranate, 500 pieces, Pat Scott, Taking Off

No comments:

Post a Comment