Saturday, July 25, 2026

What's the Buzz(ard)?

 "Somebody on Facebook took a picture of a turkey vulture," I said to Mr. Ginley, handing him my phone.

"That's a buzzard," he replied confidently. "We're from Cleveland. We call them buzzards."

Of course, he was referring to Buzzard Day in Hinckley, Ohio, when they celebrate the return of this ungainly raptor every March 15th. Also, WMMS, Home of the Buzzard.
attribution below

We do seem to be defined by our fowl in this berg. Buzzards aside, Parma, my hometown, has embraced the pink flamingo as its bird of choice, thanks to the mid-century lawn ornaments that once graced its landscaping. (I guess it's better than having a lawn jockey or a chrome ball as your beloved symbol.)

By now, you've surmised things have been slow at the Ginley household, and I'm A-OK with that assessment. 

Yes, I had a birthday this week, thanks for the birthday greetings, the cards (Mr. Ginley and Linda), the flowers (Denise and Lisa), and the birthday cake (Mark). Not to mention breakfast last Sunday with Joe, that was wonderfully normal. 

Oh, yes, and the plumbing work was completed yesterday. Why is it that whenever you have work done, it creates a related chore for you to do? They had to cut a large hole in the back of our closet, which I now need to cover. The question is, do I want to spend another $100+ on an access panel, try to patch it with drywall, or nail a piece of board over it? I mean, no one is going to see it, I just don't like the idea of a gaping hole in the back of my closet. I'm leaning toward option #3.

Meanwhile, we've gotten crickets from the PT team. They did say the meter would run out on home care about mid-July, and it seems that's what's happening. Looks like we're on our own now.

Mr. Ginley is busy sorting and dispensing with books and papers. We're hoping to clean out the office to make it accessible for him. Maybe the kitchen table can go back to being a place where we can eat without shuffling laptops and paperwork. We'll see.

Sorry to be so ho-hum this week. The weather has been lovely the past few days, and my mood should really be better than it is, but here we are. I spent several minutes watching the wild bunny in the backyard nibbling clover this morning. And I see that the bees love the Rose of Sharon bushes. I'd like to be more like them, just going about my business without fretting or fussing.

Wouldn't it be nice?


Photo attribution: Rhododendrites, CC BY-SA 4.0 <https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/4.0>, via Wikimedia Commons

No comments:

Post a Comment