Saturday, August 8, 2026

One Man's Treasure

The other evening as I was taking the barbecue chicken off the grill, I paused as the local church's carillon started up. 

It was playing "All Through the Night," a Welsh hymn that always strikes a chord with me. (Pun semi-unintentional.) I listened to the entire rendition before returning to the kitchen. 

That's what we get in this lifetime, right? Moments. If we're lucky, there are long stretches of peace, but life for us these last months has been hardscrabble, with glimpses of light and joy. 

Mr. Ginley has been reaching for those glimpses by going through books and papers he's saved. I cannot tell you how many pounds of paper have hit the recycling bin. But there are gems, too, in correspondence, articles, ephemera, and even old check registers. 

"This says I loaned you $50," Mr. said the other day. "When are you going to pay me back?" 

"Hey, look at this, I gave Lisa money for tickets to a Rush concert."

"Here's the down payment for the place we stayed at when we went to Cape May in 1987."

Then there are other random articles that evoke memories of their own.

Although the garbage can runneth over, there are still plenty of "keepers." One of those is an old yellow raincoat. It was from Mr.'s days working at J.B. Robinson Jewelers. He used it when he was unloading trucks on the dock. When it was relatively new, the printer, Bruce T., borrowed it and unintentionally christened it with black printer's ink. He offered to buy Mr. new one; instead, it remained at the office. When JBR closed up, it came home with Mr. Now, every time he sees it, it brings back only happy memories.

It's been good for Mr. Ginley to sort through all of this stuff. He's enjoyed it, although there's a certain sadness to letting go of so much of it. Still, it's better to do it now when old treasures are cherished and remembered. Who but he would keep an old raincoat?

The good news is, the shredding has been completed. The bad news is, the office looks like the place was hit by a confetti cannon. Fortunately, that's an easy fix. Nothing a little vacuuming can't take care of. I suppose it's also as good an excuse as any to vacuum the rest of the house. 

Better get to it!

P.S. Special thanks to Paul for fixing the front door for us this week. No more loud bang when guests depart. And to Joe for trucking out yet more boxes of books. It was nice to have you over for breakfast, Pooch!

No comments:

Post a Comment