Saturday, September 12, 2026

Boomer Angst

I've never liked it when people start labeling each other. On the other hand, I'm pretty proud of being a Boomer. 
With big sister, Denise, and unidentified nose picker.

My life began in analog and has become largely digital. From blurry baby pictures and television in black and white to crisp uber-pixelled photos and high-def TVs and computers. 

Ironically, my generation is saddled with the same stereotypes as we saddled our parents with. Although we took the internet from its infancy to adulthood, we are still depicted as bumbling idiots who can't use a cell phone or stream a video. 

Honestly, I think a lot of us just don't want to be bothered. After a lifetime of grinding for "the man," we just want to kick back and let our kids manage whatever new gewgaw tech BS comes down the pike. 

Meanwhile, youngsters look at our wrinkled faces dismissively, call us ma'am or sir, and pat us on the head.

I was in the park a few weeks ago, and a couple of 20-somethings were pushing ultra-caffeinated "energy drinks." They worked the picnic table next to mine, which was populated with 30-somethings who were clearly in their demographic. After pitching to them, the pair moved on with barely a sidelong glance in my direction.

Obviously, I was not the droid they were looking for. Perhaps if they'd been pitching Geritol...

But I digress.

I'm not sure where I'm headed with all of this. Maybe it's because as my life edges closer to the end and the beginning has become a distant memory, I'm seeing things a little differently. 

Inside, I feel like I'm 35. The mirror (and my achy-breaky body) disabuse me of this notion. I'm tired. I can't watch the news without a lump in my throat. Caring for Mr. Ginley post-stroke hurts my heart, not because he's a burden (as he says) but because I miss the beforetimes when he could read an entire book in a couple of days or stroll the park with me hand-in-hand. 

My pace has slowed to a crawl. I'm happy to watch other runners pass me by. Perhaps I'll just sit here on the bench and rest awhile.

And sip my Geritol.

No comments:

Post a Comment